Sunday, March 20, 2011

Blog Chain - Literary Love

    Today is my turn on the Blog Chain - this round's topic is brought to us by our wonderful Kat, who wants to know:

    How do you feel about love scenes? As a reader, are you put off by the gratuitous? 
    As a writer, do you shy away from spelling out the down-and-dirty? 
    Or do you write until your computer lights a cigarette?

    Ha! I love this question. And if you know me at all or have read any of my stuff, you'll know why :D I LOVE love. Love romance. Love love scenes. Love love love :)

    Having said that, I want to point out that while I enjoy a good love scene, and definitely love a good love story, I don't like books that are nothing but love scenes. Frankly, one bodice-ripping scene is much like another and if that is all that a book contains, it gets boring pretty quickly. In fact, I tend to skim over the actual love scenes in books.

    What I really love is the actual love, the romance, the eyes-meeting-across-a-crowded-room-and-their-hearts-stop type thing. The rush of butterflies in her gut when she sees him type thing. The miss-the-basketball-shot-because-he's-staring-at her type thing. The I-love-you-so-much-I'll-kill-that-mean-vampire-who's-after-you type thing. :)

    In other words, I want to read about the love, not so much the sex.

    I've sort of briefly (as in for a few seconds) toyed with writing a book that doesn't contain any romance, but tossed the idea immediately. I want the romance. All of my books thus far have centered around a romance. There is a lot of other stuff going on. I prefer the romantic suspenses where there is a lot of action and mystery and danger going on along with the romance as opposed to just the straight romance. But yeah, definitely love the romance.

    Now, do I shy away from spelling out the down-and-dirty? Yes.

    Why?

    Because someday I know my mother and grandmother will be reading it :D

    Seriously, I try very hard not to think about anyone reading while I'm writing because if I do, I start editing myself. I've written a few cigarette-inducing love scenes before, just to see if I could. And yep....I can :D But...I don't really want to. I want to write books that a large audience can read. I'm focused on YA right now, so of course I want to keep my books appropriate for that age level - something the teens will enjoy reading but that their mothers will also.

    So, I keep it at the blood-pumping but sweet level, focusing more on the romance, the actual "love" part of the whole thing, rather than the "Mom, cover your eyes" thing :)

    How about you? How do you feel about love scenes? Do you write them? Enjoy reading them? Or shy away from anything with the word "love" in it? :D

    Don't forget to see what the ever awesome Eric had to say on the topic, and stay tuned on Tuesday to see how Margie feels about the whole Love scene :)

Post Title

Blog Chain - Literary Love


Post URL

https://shortemohaircuts2011.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-chain-literary-love.html


Visit short emo haircuts for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive