Monday, July 25, 2011

Body Language

    One of my weaknesses as a writer is an over-abundance of body language, particularly in dialogue. It's something I am very aware that I do, yet still, I tend to want to tell the reader every single thing my characters are doing as they speak. Stuff like this (as a really bad example):

    Jane snorted. "I think you're stupid."
    John frowned. "I think you're stupid too."
    Jane folded her arms, her brows creased in anger. "You are such a stupid head."
    "Oh yeah," John said, stepping closer, "well you're an even bigger stupid head."
    "I can't believe I gave you my pudding cup!" Jane said, stomping her foot.
    John laughed and winked his eye. "Well you can't have it back now," he said, sticking out his tongue.

    Adding all that body language in with the dialogue really isn't necessary. It slows down the pace and the energy of the dialogue. Pick up a favorite book. Flip to a passage of dialogue. There is probably very minimal body language. Without all the body language, the reader is allowed to choreograph the scene for themselves, with the characters' words as their guide. There really is no need for all the extra stage directions :) Something that I tend to forget.

    My first drafts are chock full of body language and it's something I spend a lot of time, and several passes, weeding out. Though...I think I'm getting a little better at reigning it in the first time around LOL

    How do you feel about body language? Do you add a lot into your dialogue? When reading, do you like knowing every move the characters are making, or do you like supplying that on your own?

Post Title

Body Language


Post URL

https://shortemohaircuts2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/body-language.html


Visit short emo haircuts for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive